The best ever Veggie Club Sandwich I had was in Barcelona, Spain. I’m not sure whether the sandwich was so good or everything tastes so much better there but I was hooked up. Thus on my return to London I created this recipe which now always brings to me the memories of trip to Barcelona.
Que vagi de gust!
Prep time:Cooking time:Serves:
180 g (1 medium size) Courgette
240g (1 medium size) Aubergine
180 g (1 medium size) Bell Pepper
60ml Olive oil
½ tsp Smoked Paprika, Mixed Italian Herbs, Ground Coriander
¼ tsp Salt
Chilli Powder to Taste
1 Tomato (80g)
1 medium size Avocado
Juice of ½ Lemon
Drop of Balsamic Vinegar
6 slices of Farmer’s White Bread
50g Cream Cheese (change to VEGAN for alternative)
1 tbsp Pesto (choose VEGETARIAN option)
Handful of Salad Leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C degrees. Cut the courgettes and aubergines into 1cm (½ inch) thick slices. Bell pepper should be cut into medium size chunks lengthwise discarding the seeds.
2. Put sliced vegetables into a roasting tray, sprinkle with smoked paprika, mixed Italian herbs, ground coriander, salt and chilli powder to your taste. Add olive oil and mix well until all vegetables are evenly covered. Roast vegetables in the oven for 15-20min. When cooked take out of the oven set aside and let them cool down.
3. Slice the avocado, add lemon juice, drop of balsamic vinegar, few drops of olive oil and pinch of salt. Mix gently and set aside.
4. Slice gherkins and tomato.
5. Toast the bread, spread cream cheese on 3 slices of the toasted bread. Add some pesto.
6. On top of slice of bread with cream cheese put some salad leaves then aubergines, courgettes, peppers, avocado, tomatoes and gherkins. Finish up with the remaining toasted slice of bread. Press gently and cut in halves.
Combine the perfect sandwich in the following order above…
A great addition to the Veggie Club Sandwich are potato chips or sweet potato wedges – perfect for a weekend lunch!