This is maybe not quite a straight forward recipe but it is worth every step as a final result is pretty impressive. These Vegan Blini with Avocado Hummus are perfect canapés for your party or as a light starter before the main.
Either way you wont be able to resist another one… and maybe one more…
Prep time:Cooking time:Serves:
Ingredients for Blini:
200g Plain Flour
250ml Cashew Milk
1 tsp Active Instant Yeast
1 tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
3 tbsp Reduced Chickpea Water*
Vegetable oil for frying
Ingredients for Hummus:
400g Tined Chickpeas
1 Garlic Clove
3 tbsp Tahini
2 tbsp Olive oil
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Ground Cumin
Handful of Fresh Parsley
1. Let’s start with Reduced Chickpea Water* – this is the water which you drain from the tined chickpeas, reduced over a low heat to approx. 2/3. It’s rich in protein and actually used for vegan meringues as egg white substitute (but that is another story, lets focus on the blini)
2. For this recipe you will need 3 tbsp of reduced chickpea water, which is a reduction of aprox. 2 x 400g chickpea tins. There is no waste as the chickpeas will be used for hummus.
3. Beat the chickpea reduction until frothy and set aside.
4. Meanwhile heat up the milk so it is just above the room temperature, but not too hot. Add flour, yeast, sugar and mix well so there is not lumps.
5. Mix in the chickpea reduction, salt and mix well.
6. Set aside for 20-30min for yeast to do their work.
7. While you are waiting, make the avocado hummus by blending all of the ingredients together in a blender until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
8. In a frying pan heat up over a medium heat a bit of oil. Make sure it isn’t too hot.
9. Carefully place one table spoon of batter onto frying pan and it should form a rough circle. If it is a little bit too thick you can add a splash of warm water to thin it up.
10. Fry over a medium heat until golden, flip and fry on the other side for few more minutes. Place them onto the paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
11. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with your avocado hummus.
If you prefer unflavoured hummus it will also work just fine!
Or use your own flavourings like roasted peppers, curry spices, jalapeno and coriander etc.
Blini – is a traditional Russian dish.
It plays a huge role in Russian culture not just as a delicious dish but also as a symbol of prosperity and happiness.
Just like in many countries around the world, there is a pancake day in Russian and it is called “Maslenytsa”.