Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream

W

hat could be more English than a good old scone?

Can anyone imagine a cream tea without some Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream?

I can’t so I had to find a perfect recipe to make them at home. “How to Bake” by much loved Paul Hollywood was very much a useful source. I adjusted the recipe slightly, choosing plain flour instead of bread flour but kept the rest as per original recipe.

Can anyone imagine a cream tea without some Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream?

I can’t so I had to find a perfect recipe to make them at home. “How to Bake” by much loved Paul Hollywood was very much a useful source. I adjusted the recipe slightly, choosing plain flour instead of bread flour but kept the rest as per original recipe.

What else can I say, get set! Bake!


Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream | VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT


Prep time:
Baking time:
Serves:
25 minutes
15 minutes
13-15 scones

Ingredients:

450g Plain Flour + 50g extra for dusting

 80g Unsalted Butter

80g Caster Sugar

Pinch of Salt

3 Eggs

5tsp Baking Powder

250ml Whole Milk

Serve with:

Jam (Strawberry)

Clotted Cream

Fresh Berries (of Your Choice)

Method:

1. First of all, preheat your oven to 220C degrees (or 430F degrees) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.

2. Put flour in a large bowl and rub the butter into it with your fingers. You should end up with a breadcrumb-like mixture.

3. Next add sugar, salt, 2 lightly beaten eggs, baking powder and mix until just combined.

4. Start gradually add milk to the mixture. First, pour half of the milk, mix gently, then add more, a little at a time. You might not need all of the milk. You should end up with very soft wet dough.

5. Sprinkle half of remaining flour onto your working surface. Tip the dough out onto it and sprinkle some more flour on top. Spread it a little with your hands then fold in half. Turn 90 degrees and repeat. Do it few more times until dough is smooth. If you feel that the dough is too sticky add a little bit more flour.

6. Using the rolling pin, roll the dough to 2.5cm thick. Using a 6cm cookie cutter sprinkled with some flour, cut out the scones and place them onto a baking tray.

7. Leave the scones to rest for 5-10min

8. Beat one egg and brush the top of the scones. Make sure the egg doesn’t drip from the top as that will cause an uneven rise.

9. Bake for 15min. Let the scones cool down completely before serving.

10 Serve with clotted cream, jam, and berries of your choice for a perfect cream tea.

 


Print this recipe and create your own recipe book with VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT | VegDept.com


Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream | VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT


There is a whole lot of Cream tea etiquette rules by the way!

Don’t sit next to the teapot if you don’t want to end up pouring tea to everyone all day.

Or don’t stick your little finger out – that’s not what ladies and gentlemen do!


Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream | VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT


Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream | VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT


 

How do you pronounce “scone”?

Rhyming with “bone” or “gone”?

According to The Telegraph majority of Britons say it rhymes with “gone” however it’s only 51%. The other 49% think otherwise.


Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream | VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT


But this is not the only issue Britons have got.

What do you put first – cream or jam? This depends on whether you are from Devon or Cornwall.

I prefer Cream first and jam on top!


Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream | VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT


Print this recipe and create your own recipe book with VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT | VegDept.com

2 Responses
  • Jana
    June 25, 2017

    With such great scones you should go to Great British Bake-off 😀 haha

    • Jana,

      hahahah I might consider the offer, however I liked the old version with Marry Berry, Sue and Mel so much, that I’m not sure about the new season. We’ll see!

What do you think?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *