Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream
What could be more English than good old scone? Can anyone imagine a cream tea without some Scones with Berries and Clotted Cream? I can’t so I had to find a perfect recipe to make them at home. “How to Bake” by much loved Paul Hollywood was very much a useful source. I adjusted the recipe slightly, choosing plain flour instead of bread flour but kept the rest as per original recipe. What else can I say, get set! Bake!
- 450g Plain Flour + 50g extra for dusting
- 80g Unsalted Butter
- 80g Caster Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 5tsp Baking Powder
- 250ml Whole Milk
- Jam (Strawberry)
- Clotted Cream
- Fresh Berries (of Your Choice)
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- First of all, preheat your oven to 220C degrees (or 430F degrees) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Put flour in a large bowl and rub the butter into it with your fingers. You should end up with breadcrumb-like mixture.
- Next add sugar, salt, 2 lightly beaten eggs, baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Start gradually add milk to the mixture. First pour half of the milk, mix gently, then add more, a little at a time. You might not need all of the milk. You should end up with very soft wet dough.
- Sprinkle half of remaining flour onto your working surface. Tip the dough out onto it and sprinkle some more flour on top. Spread it a little with your hands then fold in half. Turn 90 degrees and repeat. Do it few more times until dough is smooth. If you feel that the dough is too sticky add a little bit more flour.
- Using the rolling pin, roll the dough to 2.5cm thick. Using a 6cm cookie cutter sprinkled with some flour, cut out the scones and place them onto baking tray.
- Leave the scones to rest for 5-10min
- Beat one egg and brush the top of the scones. Make sure the egg doesn’t drip from the top as that will cause uneven rise.
- Bake for 15min. Let the scones cool down completely before serving.
- Serve with clotted cream, jam and berries of your choice for a perfect cream tea.
VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT http://vegdept.com/