Iadore Tacos. Especially, Refried Beans Tacos. Not much I can add to this. It is delicious, easy to eat and so versatile. You can have different fillings and toppings but below is my favourite recipe! Just writing about it makes me hungry…
Anyone up for a Mexican themed party?
Prep time:Cooking time:Serves:
1 Garlic Clove
400g Barlotti Beans
400g Kidney Beans
1 Small Courgette
1 Bell Pepper
2 Medium Tomatoes
Splash of Olive Oil
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Chilli Pepper
Pinch of Smoked Paprika
9 tsp Tomato Chutney
9 Corn Tortillas or Ready-made Tacos Shells
100g Cheddar (go VEGAN with Dairy Free Cheese)
1. First prepare the refried beans. Chop the garlic and onion finely and fry with a bit of olive oil until soft and golden in colour.
2. Remove Barlotti and Kidney beans from the tin and drain all the liquid.
3. Add beans to the onions and fry for 5-7 min to evaporate excess liquid.
4. Using a potato masher mash the beans a little. You want about half of the beans mashed and the other half remain solid. Fry for another 5-7min.
5. Add chili pepper, pinch of salt and mix well. Set aside.
6. In another pan fry finely chopped bell pepper and courgette with a splash of olive oil. Add seasoning and set aside.
7. Shred the lettuce and chop tomatoes.
8. Now construct the tacos. If you are making tacos shells, then the best way is to use oven rack. Carefully drape the tortillas over two bars of the rack and bake in the oven at 180C or 370F degrees for 7-10 min until nice and crispy.
9. To the bottom of each taco shell spread a teaspoon of tomato chutney, add lettuce, then refried beans, next add fried bell peppers and courgettes. Top it up with tomatoes and grated cheese.
10. Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F.
11. Put tacos onto baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 min just to melt the cheese.
12. Serve your tacos with soured cream, some extra tomato chutney, jalapenos for an extra kick and Kalamata olives for those who like it mild. Sprinkle some chopped coriander or parsley.
October the 3rd is National Taco Day. Yep… There is a National Taco day.