Vegan Blini with Avocado Hummus
This is maybe not quite a straight forward recipe but it is worth every step as a final result is pretty impressive. These Vegan Blini with Avocado Hummus are perfect canapés for your party or as a light starter before the main. Either way you wont be able to resist another one… and maybe one more...
Ingredients for blini
- 200g Plain Flour
- 250ml Cashew Milk
- 1 tsp Active Instant Yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 tbsp Reduced Chickpea Water*
- Vegetable oil for frying
Ingredients for hummus
- 400g Tined Chickpeas
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 50ml Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- Handful of Fresh Parsley
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Let’s start with Reduced Chickpea Water* - this is the water which you drain from the tined chickpeas, reduced over a low heat to approx. 2/3. It’s rich in protein and actually used for vegan meringues as egg white substitute (but that is another story, lets focus on the blini)
- For this recipe you will need 3 tbsp of reduced chickpea water, which is a reduction of aprox. 2 x 400g chickpea tins. There is no waste as the chickpeas will be used for hummus.
- Beat the chickpea reduction until frothy and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat up the milk so it is just above the room temperature, but not too hot. Add flour, yeast, sugar and mix well so there is not lumps.
- Mix in the chickpea reduction, salt and mix well.
- Set aside for 20-30min for yeast to do their work.
- While you are waiting, make the avocado hummus by blending all of the ingredients together in a blender until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a frying pan heat up over a medium heat a bit of oil. Make sure it isn’t too hot.
- Carefully place one table spoon of batter onto frying pan and it should form a rough circle. If it is a little bit too thick you can add a splash of warm water to thin it up.
- Fry over a medium heat until golden, flip and fry on the other side for few more minutes. Place them onto the paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- Serve warm or at room temperature topped with your avocado hummus.
VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT http://vegdept.com/