Squash Parsnip and Fennel Soup
Sometimes I feel like soups are underestimated. Usually the first thing to come to mind is Tomato Soup and Leak and Potatoes. Oh and they all are pureed. Thus here is Squash Parsnip and Fennel Soup. You will get all that important fibre from the vegetables still enjoying its creamy texture and vibrant flavours. Make your digestive system happy again!
- 1l Vegetable Stock
- 150g Butternut Squash or Pumpkin
- 60g (approx. 1 small) Parsnip
- 50g (approx. 1 medium) Carrot
- ½ Fennel Bulb
- 80g (approx. 1 small) Leak
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 20g Butter (Olive Oil for Vegan Option)
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 100ml Milk (Cashew Milk for Vegan Option)
- 30g Barley
- 3 Bay Leaves
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- ½ Sweetcorn Cob
- Small Bunch of Dill
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- First of all, peel the the squash and remove the seeds. Cut into medium size cubes. Also peel the parsnip and carrot and cut into medium size chunks.
- Slice the fennel and leaks.
- Finely chop the shallot and garlic.
- In a big frying pan melt the butter over a low heat. (or oil if preparing vegan option)
- Add all chopped vegetables apart from squash and cook gently for 10min. Stir occasionally, you don’t want much colour to your vegetables.
- Now add flour and milk and simmer for another 5 min.
- Meanwhile, bring to the boil the vegetable stock.
- Add those vegetables into the boiling stock following by cubes of squash, barley, bay leaves and white pepper and sweetcorn kernels.
- Simmer for 20min until all vegetables are soft and tender.
- Serve with chopped dill a spoonful of soured cream (optional).
VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT http://vegdept.com/