Sichuan Pepper & Mushroom Tofu
I love Chinese cuisine for the bold flavours and interesting textures. Sichuan Pepper and Mushroom Tofu is a perfect example of both. Delicate silken tofu covered in aromatic peppery sauce won’t leave you disappointed. Let your taste buds dance!
- 600g Silken Tofu
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 200g Asian Mushrooms (Shitake, Oyster, Eryngii etc)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 5cm Ginger
- 1 Small Shallot
- 60ml Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Douchi (Fermented Black Bean Paste)
- ½ tsp Toban Djan (chilli bean sauce)
- ½ tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 tbsp Sichuan Pepper
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 350ml Water
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- Scallions and Chives (for garnish)
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- First of all, prepare the tofu. Silken Tofu is very fragile ingredient thus to make it stronger you need to simmer it in a slightly salted water.
- Cut the tofu into cubes approx. 2.5x2.5cm. In a pan bring to the boil some water and add 1 tbsp of salt. Very carefully transfer the tofu cubes into the pan and simmer for 5-7min. Don’t stir it to avoid damaging the cubes.
- Drain the tofu (again very gently) and set aside.
- Chop and fry in a separate pan your selection of Asian mushrooms for 5-7 min and set aside.
- Grind the Sichuan pepper and sieve it to get rid of large flakes.
- Peel and finely chop garlic, ginger and shallot.
- Heat up sesame oil in a pan and fry garlic, ginger and shallot with black bean paste and Toban Djan for few minutes. I use Lee Kum Kee (http://us.lkk.com/en) products, which are available in UK and USA supermarkets, however I’m sure you can get other brands in Asian shops.
- Add Sichuan pepper and Chinese 5 spice and fry for another minute.
- Add 350ml of Water, soya sauce, sugar and bring to the boil.
- Add fried mushrooms and carefully transfer tofu cubes into the pan. Now don’t stir just shake the pan lightly to mix/move tofu around the pan.
- In a small bowl mix corn starch with a little bit of cold water and add to the pan. Give the pan another light shake to mix everything up and simmer for 30sec until sauce gets thick and covers the tofu.
- Serve the Sichuan pepper and mushroom tofu with steamed rice and garnish with chopped scallions and chives.
VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT http://vegdept.com/