Cheese Smoky Grilled Corn on the Cob
Quite often the first thing people say when they find out that you are vegetarian or vegan is “but what about BBQ?!” Well… It doesn’t have to be all about meat when it comes to BBQ. Grilled vegetables and Asian style mushrooms, BBQ-flavoured tofu, let alone a whole bunch of veggie burgers and sausages available in stores. But today I will focus one a very particular classic – corn on the cob! My Cheese Smoky Grilled Corn on the Cob is always a winner at any BBQ party. Very easy to make and equally easy to impress your guest with this flavoursome and summery dish. So, let’s get messy?
- 4 Ears of Corn
- 90g Butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- Pinch (or few) of Chilli Pepper
- 100g Grated Cheddar
- ½ Bunch of Chopped Coriander or Parsley
- 1 Lime
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- First of all, peel back the husk of the corn, leaving the husk on about 2-3 cm on the bottom of the corn. Gather the husk at the tip of the corn into a “ponytail”.
- Soak the corn in water overnight or boil the corn for 10 minutes before grilling if you didn’t have time to soak. Whether soaking or boiling make sure the corn is fully submerged in water.
- Drain well the corn. Melt 50g of butter and generously brush the corn.
- Place on the grill and cook for about 15-20 minutes, turning every 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together the garlic salt, smoked paprika and chilli.
- Cut the rest of the butter into 4 cubes.
- When the corn is ready, remove from the heat and rub the butter into the corn. Be careful as it is very hot.
- Sprinkle with spice mix put on the serving plate and while still hot add grated cheese on top.
- Garnish with some chopped coriander or parsley and lime wedges.
- I personally like to serve some soured cream and tomato chutney on the side for dipping however this is totally optional.
VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT http://vegdept.com/