Blood Orange Pickled Fennel and Cabbage Salad
Blood Orange Pickled Fennel and Cabbage salad recipe was really an accident. I had a lot of oranges, I had cabbage and didn’t really know what to make. So, this is a very simple story of how I came up with the recipe. In my opinion the best chef is the one who can create something stunning from humble ingredients that are available right here and right now. Don’t you agree?
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 120 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Honey
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 whole Star Annise
- 1 tsp Chopped Ginger
- ¼ Head Red Cabbage
- ½ Large Avocado
- 1 Blood Orange
- Salad Leaves
- Black Sesame Seeds
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- To speed up the pickling process, slice fennel bulb thinly using the mandoline.
- In a small sauce pan bring to the boil apple cider vinegar, honey, salt chopped ginger and star anise. Simmer for few minutes.
- Put the sliced fennel in a bowl and pour the mixture over it. Let it pickle for at least 15-20min
- Meanwhile shred the cabbage, peel and slice the avocado and blood orange. If you prefer to segment the orange here is a very useful article with step by step images.
- To arrange, put the salad leaves on a serving plate together with the shredded cabbage. On top place slices of orange and avocado with pickled fennel. Use a table spoon of the pickle juice as a light dressing for the salad. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
VEGETARIAN DEPARTMENT http://vegdept.com/