This recipe has been given to me by a very dear friend of mine. He doesn’t cook or bake often but when he does this is what comes out from the oven – Triple decker chocolate heaven! And the best part – it is actually not that hard to make.
I am really grateful to have such an amazing friend. Thanks, Olegs!
Prep time:Cooking time:Serves:
Ingredients for SPONGE:
250g Dark Chocolate (70%)
250g Butter + extra for greasing
60ml Strong Coffee
180ml Hot Water
4 Medium Eggs
300g Plain Flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
10g Baking Powder
1½ tsp Salt
30ml Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla
Ingredients for GANACHG:
250g Dark Chocolate (70%)
250ml Double Cream
Ingredients for MASCARPONE CREAM:
300ml Double Cream
3 tbsp Icing Sugar
Juice of 1 Lemon
1. First of all, we need to make the base. Preheat the oven to 150C or 300F degrees.
2. Melt the chocolate in the hot water bath. Brake the chocolate into smaller pieces, place into heatproof ball, (I use glass ball), add butter and place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure the ball does not touch the water.
3. To the melted chocolate and butter mixture add sugar, coffee and hot water. Mix well and stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from hot water bath and let it cool down for about 15 min.
4. Next add milk to the chocolate mixture. Milk must be cold as it should also lower the temperature of the mixture.
5. Using a hand mixer whisk in eggs one at a time.
6. Add sieved flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and mix well either with a wooden spoon or hand mixer until combined.
7. In the end add vegetable oil and vanilla.
8. With a small piece of butter grease 20cm loose bottom cake tin. It should be a deep one as well – approx. 10cm deep as the cake will rise twice in size.
9. Line the tin with parchment paper. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 2 HOURS.
10. When base is ready remove it from the oven, let it cool down so you can handle. Carefully remove from the tin and let it cool down completely.
11. Now you can start preparing the ganache by melting the chocolate in hot water bath same way as described above just without the butter.
12. When chocolate is fully melted remove from hot water bath to cool down (approx. 10min) and add double cream. Mix well until fully combined and glossy.
13. Next step is to make mascarpone cream. Whip the double cream with icing sugar and lemon juice. Add mascarpone and mix well.
14. Cut the base into 3 equal layers and spread mascarpone cream on two of the layers. (reserve a little bit of cream for later) Stuck them on top of each other finishing up with a layer with no mascarpone cream. “plaster” the gaps with remaining mascarpone cream so it looks neat and tidy.
15. Pour the ganache on top of the cake and spread it evenly.
16. When I am covering the cakes with ganache (or any other liquid-ish glazing) I put it onto oven rack so when the glazing is dripping off the sides it goes straight through without flooding the sides and leaving cake looking untidy. Just make sure you put foil or baking tray under the oven rack to catch all the excess ganache without making too much of a mess.
17. Decorate the cake with fruits berries and/or chocolate garnishes.
While some might say that there are quite a few calories in this cake
I will focus more on the benefits of chocolate: very notorious, a great source of antioxidant and even has got ability to lower the risk of some diseases.
Are you still concerned?