Do you like cakes? Do you like sweets? Well I’ve got a perfect treat for you – Chocolate Almond Cake Balls! These velvety rich chocolate delights look like truffles and taste like cake. They would make your Afternoon Tea Party 100% royal!
Another cup of tea, Sir?
Prep time:Cooking time:Makes approx.:
3 Medium Size Eggs
90g Caster Sugar
75g Plain Flour
15g Potato Starch
65g Icing Sugar
50g Condensed Milk
100g Dark Chocolate (70%)
50ml Double Cream
100g Ground Almonds
4 tbsp Coco Powder + extra for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200C or 390F degrees.
2. To make the sponge for chocolate cake balls first of all separate the egg yolks and egg whites into two clean ideally glass bowls.
3. Add 60g of caster sugar to the egg yolks and beat it with a hand mixer until creamy and pale and set aside.
4. With the hand mixer whisk the egg whites until stiff and fluffy, gradually adding the remaining sugar.
5. Mix the egg whites together with egg yolks, gradually sieve flour and potato starch into the mixture and fold until combined.
6. With a small piece of butter grease 25cm loose bottom cake tin, line it with parchment paper and pour the mixture into it.
7. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
8. When ready let the sponge to cool down completely and then crumble it into almost like a bread crumbs. You can use a blender for it.
9. Now beat together butter and icing sugar until fluffy and creamy.
10. For the melted chocolate prepare the hot water bath. Brake the chocolate into smaller pieces, place into heatproof ball, (I use glass ball). Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure the ball does not touch the water.
11. Melt the chocolate, add cream and coco powder.
12. Now mix all of the ingredients together – sponge crumbles, sugary butter and melted chocolate, add ground almond and you are ready to form the chocolate cake balls.
13. I like them slightly bigger similar to a cupcake size (about 4cm in diameter), but you can make them any size you wish.
14. Roll the balls in the coco powder and they are ready to serve.
Raspberries work really well with these Chocolate Almond Cake Balls.
Add some fresh ones or make a raspberry coulis to create a restaurant presentation.
For the coulis heat up a small pan with 250g of raspberries and 1tbsp of icing sugar until berries start to break down.
Sieve it and it is ready to be served with Chocolate Almond Cake Balls.